Saturday, September 19, 2009

Negativity or Reflection?

I am a proponent of education. I have several degrees, with a possible third degree in progress. As a student, college was a transformational experience for me, which I would not trade for anything. My experience as a teacher and as a tech support person in higher education, has been, like any job, surprising, challenging, sometimes unpleasant, sometimes rewarding...sometimes in complete opposition to the values of a liberal education.

It is my liberal education that taught me to always question, critique, and analyze the world around me. And so I do not accept this world I experience at face value. I will always be wondering why and what if and for some reason, I guess I will always see the irony in things.

I hope that I can share my view of the world without being negative. I hope that I can critique and analyze without being negative. I have high standards and believe we can always be better, but we'll never get there without reflection and analysis. This is the core of what my education was all about.

1 comment:

  1. But sometimes, being negative is SO HELPFUL--at least when it is in the moment complaining to your friends who love you in order to release pent up frustrations!!!!!!!! It is the constant barrage of negativity that enacts ZERO change and only resentment--I am learning that one myself. I am trying SUPER hard to not be as negative nancy this year (VERY HARD), but I want to be better for my students!!!

    I miss you!!!!!!

    BOOK YOUR TICKET TO VISIT!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete